[HOOKE. Robert, ed.]

HOOKE’S RARE CONTINUATION OF THE TRANSACTIONS

[HOOKE. Robert, ed.] Philosophical Collections

London, Printed for John Martyn, [Moses Pitt, Richard Chiswell], for the Royal Society, 1679-82.

£20000

FIRST EDITION. Compete set of 7 parts in one volume, 210 pp., 6 folding plates, one full-page engraving (no. 5, p. 161), one half-page engraving (no. 4, p. 92), Bound in modern half calf and buckram over boards by Sangorsky & Sutcliffe. A fine copy. 

The polymath Robert Hooke (1635-1703) was authorised by the Council of the Royal Society to publish the Philosophical Collections after the official Transactions ceased publication on Henry Odenburg’s death in 1677. Ordinary publication of the Transactions was resumed in January 1682- 3. The purpose of the journal was to provide an up-to-date account of any sicientific topic, such as physical, anatomical, chemical, mechanical, astronomical, optical, natural-philosophical and natural-historical observations, and to advertise the publication of such books. Complete sets of these seven numbers are very uncommon. The present volume also includes anatomical and medical studies. Hooke here published important papers, especailly An optical discourse, which concerned a cure for short-sightedness. One finds in the present collection Leeuwenhoek’s discovery of spermatozoa through the study of animal semen; Lana’s “flying chariot”; Borelli’s De motu musculorum; Tyson’s Anatomy of a porpess (sic); and astronomical observations by Hevelius, Flamsteed, and Cassini on the eclipse of Jupiter by the moon in 1679 and 1681. Furthermore, major discoveries by Malpighi, Moxon, Thomas Burnett, Edmund Halley, Bernoulli, and Leibniz are published in this series for the first time. The plates show Bernier’s flying machine, Borelli’s underwater breathing apparatus, and a new lamp invented by Robert Boyle. William Brigg’s A new theory of vision, a discussion of the optic nerves, is accompanied by a plate illustrating a dissected eye; this detailed physiological study of vision motivated Newton to republish it in 1685 with his own introduction. The Royal Society, founded in 1660, is the oldest scientific society in Great Britain and one of the oldest in Europe. Founders and early members included the scientist Bishop John Wilkins, the philosopher Joseph Glanvill, the mathematician John Wallis and the architect Christopher Wren, who wrote the preamble of its charter.

Keynes, Hooke 24. Norman 1100 (listing only 3 folding plates). See PMM 148 for the ‘Philosophical Transactions’.

COOPER, Astley

COOPER, Astley. Observations on the Structure and Diseases of the Testis

London, John Churchill, 1841.

£500

Large 4to. Two parts bound together, both with half-title leaves. Title-page, pp. xiii (i), 330, 24 plates (10 + 14). Many leaves unopened. Bound in contemporary blind-tooled brown buckram, skilfully rebacked. Very light soiling and browning to margins. An excellent copy.

Second edition. Sir Astley Cooper (1768-1841) was a pre-eminent London surgeon, professor of comparative anatomy at the Royal College of Surgeons from 1813-1815, vice-president of the Royal Society, a member of the court of examiners of the college in 1822, and he served as president twice, in 1827 and 1836. In his published works, he paid particular attention to highquality illustrations, drawn by a succession of artists that he himself employed.

Garrison & Morton lists only the first edition, 1830 (No. 4166).

MEIER, Adolphus Gustavus

MEIER, Adolphus GustavusThe Practical Orthodontist

St. Louis, Kutterer-Jansen Printing Co., 1911.

£68

8vo, 56 pp., with 136 figures. Original dark green cloth with gilt-stamped title on front cover, blind-ruled four-fillet frame along edges. Inscription of provenance on top of first page. A thin, tight volume in fine condition.

 

HARRIS, Chapin A.

HARRIS, Chapin A.. The Principles and Practice of Dentistry, including Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Therapeutics, Dental Surgery and Mechanism.

Philadelphia, Lindsay & Blakiston, 1871.

£250

8vo, xxix, (3), 33-794 pp., plus 20 final leaves of “catalogue” of works on/relating to dentistry and other fields of medicine. “With four hundred and nine illustrations”, one coloured in red. Early ink autograph on left endpaper and other two owners’ stamps. Inscription in pen on right fly, mentioning bibliographical details. Bound in half black morocco and red buckram over boards. Red morocco label with gilt title to gilt spine. An excellent copy.

Tenth edition of this work by Harris, M. D., D.S.S., first published in 1839 in Baltimore as “The Dental Art, A Practical Treatise of Dental surgery”. This edition was revised and curated by Philip H. Austen, M. D. 

TAFT, Jonathan

TAFT, Jonathan. A Practical Treatise on Operative Dentistry . . . Second Edition, with Eighty-Six Illustrations.
Philadelphia, Lindsay and Blakiston, 1868.
£195
8vo, xx, [25]-442, pp., with numerous illustrations throughout. Bound in original sheep, black leather label, gilt lettering, Rebacked. A good copy.

A comprehensive manual concerning the hygiene and health of the mouth, listing practical methodologies and techniques and  providing “the Principles of the Science, properly digested, the Experiments Detailed, the Manipulations Described, and the whole methodized”. It also deals with fillings, artificial teeth, dentures, etc., from Richardson, D.D.S. & M.D., who was a Midwestern professor of dentistry and metallurgy. “Art Association / of Jacksonville / by Dr. David Strawn”, stamped on left endpaper and blind-stamped logo on first leaves.

RICHARDSON, Joseph

RICHARDSON, Joseph. A Practical Treatise on Mechanical Dentistry . . . Second Edition, Very Much Enlarged, with One Hundred and Fifty-Nine Illustrations.
Philadelphia, Lindsay and Blakiston, 1869.
£195
8vo, xx, [25]-442, pp., with numerous illustrations throughout. Bound in original sheep, black leather label, gilt lettering, Rebacked. A good copy.

A comprehensive manual for the construction of fillings, artificial teeth, dentures, etc., from Richardson, D.D.S. & M.D., who was a Midwestern professor of dentistry and metallurgy. With substantial updates to this edition on the use of vulcanised rubbed and aluminum.Of the “Art Association / of Jacksonville / by Dr. David Strawn”, stamped on left endpaper and stamp with logo blind-tooled on first leaves.

ROYAL ARMY DENTAL CORPS

THE WAR OFFICE. Training Notes for Clerk Orderlies of the Army Dental Corps (26, Manuals, 1388)

Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 1940.
£75

4t0, 29 pp., with illustrations and graphs, each leaf interleaved with blanks. Bound in original paper wrappers; “(Crown Copyright Reserved)”. Pen autograph of owner on upper outer corner.

“The wastage of fit soldiers through lack of proper dental care during World War I highlighted the need for formal organisation and proper provision and the Army Dental Corps was formed on 4th January 1921. Dental Surgeons were initially granted a Short Service Commission of six years with the opportunity for selection to a permanent commission whilst servicemen joined for an initial engagement of seven years and went to the Army Dental Corps School of Instruction in Aldershot to train as Dental Mechanics or Dental Clerk Orderlies. The interwar years had been a period of growth for the ADC as they firmly established their role and position within the life of the British Army. During World War Two the ADC expanded rapidly, in numbers of serving personnel, the number of Dental Centres in the UK and in the variety of courses and training available including general anaesthesia, dental prosthetics, dental radiography and maxillo-facial.” (from the website of the Museum of Military Medicine)

DENTAL BOARD OF THE UK

DENTAL BOARD OF THE UNITED KINGDOM. Hygiene of the Mouth and Teeth

Frome and London, Butler & Tanner Ltd., [1927?].

£120

8vo, 85 pp., with several b/w photographic facsimile illustrations and drawings. “Published by the Dental Board”, Dental Board’s logo on title-page, insert printed letter, dated “October 22 1927”, from Rt. Hon. Sir Francis Dyke Acland, Chairman of the Board. In 1917 he was appointed Chairman of the Departmental Committee “to inquire into the extent and gravity of the evils of dental practice by persons not qualified under the Dentists Act [1878].” Based on the recommendations of this committee a bill was introduced into parliament which eventually became the Dentists Act 1921 which established the Dental Board of the United Kingdom. Acland was appointed its first chairman – a position he held until his death.

 

DUMAREILLE DE VITRY, Adolpho

DUMAREILLE DE VITRY, AdolphoPropagaçâo da medicina dental : …

Lisbon, Nos Principaes Livreiros de Lisboa, 1847.

£1800

8vo. Half title, frontispiece portrait of author and title, viii, 224, (28) pp., il., 6 plates. Bound in an attractive quarter dark green morocco and light green gilt morocco over boards, richly gilt spine with title; initials of Viscount de Campanhà gilt-stamped on centre of front cover. Label of bookseller Livraria Academica of Porto, Portugal, glued to top outer corner of left pastedown. A clean and crisp volumes, only some rubbing to cover corners and edges. A fine copy, excessively rare.

A curious work meant to assist people with teeth problems in order to avoid  excessive pain during dental procedures. The book also includes precious advice for those who “incur in the disgrace of loosing teeth”. In the C19th, the panorama of dental surgery in Lisbon is dominated by the “Vitry dinasty.”

We could not find any copies of this title, expect for one later edition, dated 1848, in the Municipal Library of Sintra in Portugal. Not listed in any dental bibliographies.

Adolfo Dumareil de Vitry arrived in Lisbon in 1835, establishing his dental studio in Rua dos Retroseiros. He was equipped with valuable technical knowledge and achieved popularity for his professional merits. Vitry Júnior was active in Rua do Ouro, from 1841 onwards. Among his customers, the Duchess of Bragança, Dona Maria II Queen of Portugal, the Prince Consort Don Fernando and their children. The Vitry edited: in 1840, “Observations on Teeth”; in 1843, “Manual of the Dental Surgeon”; in 1847, “Propagation of the Dental Medicine, which is the present copy.

SEGATO, Agnese Maria

SEGATO, Agnese Maria. Il massaggio come cura della bellezza femminile

Milan, Hoepli, 1952.

£38

8vo. viii, 120 pp., with 52 b/w illustrations. A curious work on massage therapy as a method to improve feminine beauty. This treatise has an introduction on the history of massage, which lists the earliest mentions of this practice, appearing in the Indian Vedas, and goes on illustrating how Greek and Roman medicine strongly valued the art of body manipulation.