[HOOKE. Robert, ed.]

HOOKE’S RARE CONTINUATION OF THE TRANSACTIONS

[HOOKE. Robert, ed.] Philosophical Collections

London, Printed for John Martyn, [Moses Pitt, Richard Chiswell], for the Royal Society, 1679-82.

£20000

FIRST EDITION. Compete set of 7 parts in one volume, 210 pp., 6 folding plates, one full-page engraving (no. 5, p. 161), one half-page engraving (no. 4, p. 92), Bound in modern half calf and buckram over boards by Sangorsky & Sutcliffe. A fine copy. 

The polymath Robert Hooke (1635-1703) was authorised by the Council of the Royal Society to publish the Philosophical Collections after the official Transactions ceased publication on Henry Odenburg’s death in 1677. Ordinary publication of the Transactions was resumed in January 1682- 3. The purpose of the journal was to provide an up-to-date account of any sicientific topic, such as physical, anatomical, chemical, mechanical, astronomical, optical, natural-philosophical and natural-historical observations, and to advertise the publication of such books. Complete sets of these seven numbers are very uncommon. The present volume also includes anatomical and medical studies. Hooke here published important papers, especailly An optical discourse, which concerned a cure for short-sightedness. One finds in the present collection Leeuwenhoek’s discovery of spermatozoa through the study of animal semen; Lana’s “flying chariot”; Borelli’s De motu musculorum; Tyson’s Anatomy of a porpess (sic); and astronomical observations by Hevelius, Flamsteed, and Cassini on the eclipse of Jupiter by the moon in 1679 and 1681. Furthermore, major discoveries by Malpighi, Moxon, Thomas Burnett, Edmund Halley, Bernoulli, and Leibniz are published in this series for the first time. The plates show Bernier’s flying machine, Borelli’s underwater breathing apparatus, and a new lamp invented by Robert Boyle. William Brigg’s A new theory of vision, a discussion of the optic nerves, is accompanied by a plate illustrating a dissected eye; this detailed physiological study of vision motivated Newton to republish it in 1685 with his own introduction. The Royal Society, founded in 1660, is the oldest scientific society in Great Britain and one of the oldest in Europe. Founders and early members included the scientist Bishop John Wilkins, the philosopher Joseph Glanvill, the mathematician John Wallis and the architect Christopher Wren, who wrote the preamble of its charter.

Keynes, Hooke 24. Norman 1100 (listing only 3 folding plates). See PMM 148 for the ‘Philosophical Transactions’.

BLOCH, Marcus Elieser

216 SPLENDID HAND-COLOURED C18TH ENGRAVING OF FISHES

BLOCH, Marcus Elieser. Ichtyologie, ou Histoire Naturelle, Generale et Particuliere des Poissons. Avec des figures enluminees, dessinees d’apres nature [Parts I-VI] Berlin, Chez l’auteur, & Chez Francois de la Garde, Libraire, 1785-1788.

£24500

FIRST FRENCH EDITION. Folio (leaves ca. 46×28; binding ca. 47.5×29.5). Parts 1-6 bound in 3 volumes, half-title and title to each part, with elaborate engraved vignette illustrating fishing scenes to each title by D. Berger after F.C.W. Rosenberg. Complete with 216 fine hand-coloured engraved plates, occasionally heightened with gold, silver and bronze pigments to reproduce the shiny reflective scales of fish. In clean condition, crisp and with good margins. Bound in contemporary full Russia with Greek key gilt border decoration to outer edges; skilfully rebacked, gilt decorated spines. Marbled endpapers. An excellent copy.

Marcus Elieser Bloch (1723-1799) was a German doctor and naturalist. This is a remarkable copy of the first six parts of his masterpiece on ichthyologie (the science of fishes), which Brunet defined “the most beautiful that we have about that part of natural history”. First published the same year in German in a quarto edition, this much larger and finer second edition of Bloch’s work was translated into French by J.-C. Laveaux. Nissen described it as “the finest illustrated work on fishes ever produced. The plates, by a variety of artists and engravers, are outstandingly coloured, and are heightened with gold, silver, and bronze to produce the metallic sheen of fish scales.” The engravings were based on drawings from the author’s own collection, which included around 1500 items. His was among the most extensive collections of illustrations devoted to ichthyologie in private hands at the time. The second 6 parts (7-12) of this monumental set in 12 parts containing a total of 432 plates were finished in 1797. Although some copies sold in the book trade and copies in public institutions may show a frontispiece portrait of the author, the present copy is nevertheless complete, since it was issued during the first impression. In fact, we have reason to believe that the portrait was added only in the second impression of these first six parts. Furthermore, this work can be considered complete as it is, because on the title-page of the sixth part, published in 1788, is written “sixth and last part”.

Brunet, I, 974; Nissen ZBI 416; Wood, p. 244; Dance, p. 56.

COOPER, Astley

COOPER, Astley. Observations on the Structure and Diseases of the Testis

London, John Churchill, 1841.

£500

Large 4to. Two parts bound together, both with half-title leaves. Title-page, pp. xiii (i), 330, 24 plates (10 + 14). Many leaves unopened. Bound in contemporary blind-tooled brown buckram, skilfully rebacked. Very light soiling and browning to margins. An excellent copy.

Second edition. Sir Astley Cooper (1768-1841) was a pre-eminent London surgeon, professor of comparative anatomy at the Royal College of Surgeons from 1813-1815, vice-president of the Royal Society, a member of the court of examiners of the college in 1822, and he served as president twice, in 1827 and 1836. In his published works, he paid particular attention to highquality illustrations, drawn by a succession of artists that he himself employed.

Garrison & Morton lists only the first edition, 1830 (No. 4166).

WRIGHT, Lewis

WRIGHT, Lewis. The Illustrated Book of Poultry. With practical schedules for judging, constructed from actual analysis of the best modern decisions.

London, Cassell, Petter, & Galpin, Belle Sauvage Works, [1873]

£2600

FIRST EDITION. 4t0; viii, 591 pp., with 50 chromolithograph plates: “Illustrated with Fifty Coloured Portraits of Prize Birds, Painted from Life by J.W. Ludlow”. Light age-yellowing and very occasional light spotting to margins. Bound in early half gilt-ruled dark brown morocco and buckram over thick boards, marbled pastedown, and richly gilt spine with title and author’s name below the head, divided in 6 compartments. Ex-libris on the inside of left cover, lettering scraped off. Corners and spine sympathetically repaired by a skilful hand. All edges marbled. Overall and excellent copy, clean, of this remarkable work.

This is most renowned and outstanding nineteenth-century work on poultry. “Originally issued in parts from 1872. The oil lithograph plates by J. W. Ludlow were portraits of actual birds and dated [frontispiece with Mr John Douglas black-breasted red game cock, nick-named “The Earl”, shown at Crystal Palace in 1870]. Lewis Wright was the editor of the Fanciers’ Gazette (later the Livestock Journal). … There are two variants of the original edition; in the first the frontispiece is dated 1868. In what may be called the second impression the frontispiece is dated 1870.” (Palmer, John. Poultry books: an annotated bibliography, 1990). This is the second impression of the first edition.

[BYAM, Lydia]

WIDE-MARGINED FINE COPY OF A VERY RARE BOTANICAL WORK

[BYAM, Lydia]. A Collection of Exotics, from the Island of Antigua. By a Lady.

London, 1797.

£20000

FIRST EDITION. Large folio. 5 unnumbered leaves comprising title and dedication, plus 12 fine hand-coloured botanical unsigned aquatint plates, title slightly soiled. Modern half-calf and contemporary marbled boards. The Robert de Belder copy (Sotheby’s, London, 1987). A fine copy.

First edition of a very rare botanical book from the library of Robert de Belder, creator of one of the greatest collections of botanical books in the world and founder of the Arboretum Kalmthout in Belgium. Lydia Byam was the elder sister of the Governor of Antigua, William Gunthorpe. This work was printed again in 1798 an 1799. The scarcity of complete copies in this good condition is seen in the fact that, of the two in the Natural History Museum, one lacks 7 of the 12 plates, while the other has its margins trimmed away and a broken binding (our copy is well-margined). Besides the Natural History Museum, there are no other known institutional holdings in Britain, and we know of only one copy of the second edition (at the Wellcome Library). OCLC WorldCat lists three locations only of the present printing in the US (National Tropical Botanical Garden, Hamilton College Library, New York Public Library). No further copies RLG. Hunt 749: “One of the rarest of American floras; not listed by Pritzel, Jackson, Dunthorne, Nissen or Great Flower Books…The charming delicately engraved plates are an example of good representations of American flora which in some instances antedate the earliest colour plates of these subjects listed by Pritzel and Stapf”.

MEIER, Adolphus Gustavus

MEIER, Adolphus GustavusThe Practical Orthodontist

St. Louis, Kutterer-Jansen Printing Co., 1911.

£68

8vo, 56 pp., with 136 figures. Original dark green cloth with gilt-stamped title on front cover, blind-ruled four-fillet frame along edges. Inscription of provenance on top of first page. A thin, tight volume in fine condition.

 

HARRIS, Chapin A.

HARRIS, Chapin A.. The Principles and Practice of Dentistry, including Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Therapeutics, Dental Surgery and Mechanism.

Philadelphia, Lindsay & Blakiston, 1871.

£250

8vo, xxix, (3), 33-794 pp., plus 20 final leaves of “catalogue” of works on/relating to dentistry and other fields of medicine. “With four hundred and nine illustrations”, one coloured in red. Early ink autograph on left endpaper and other two owners’ stamps. Inscription in pen on right fly, mentioning bibliographical details. Bound in half black morocco and red buckram over boards. Red morocco label with gilt title to gilt spine. An excellent copy.

Tenth edition of this work by Harris, M. D., D.S.S., first published in 1839 in Baltimore as “The Dental Art, A Practical Treatise of Dental surgery”. This edition was revised and curated by Philip H. Austen, M. D. 

TAFT, Jonathan

TAFT, Jonathan. A Practical Treatise on Operative Dentistry . . . Second Edition, with Eighty-Six Illustrations.
Philadelphia, Lindsay and Blakiston, 1868.
£195
8vo, xx, [25]-442, pp., with numerous illustrations throughout. Bound in original sheep, black leather label, gilt lettering, Rebacked. A good copy.

A comprehensive manual concerning the hygiene and health of the mouth, listing practical methodologies and techniques and  providing “the Principles of the Science, properly digested, the Experiments Detailed, the Manipulations Described, and the whole methodized”. It also deals with fillings, artificial teeth, dentures, etc., from Richardson, D.D.S. & M.D., who was a Midwestern professor of dentistry and metallurgy. “Art Association / of Jacksonville / by Dr. David Strawn”, stamped on left endpaper and blind-stamped logo on first leaves.

RICHARDSON, Joseph

RICHARDSON, Joseph. A Practical Treatise on Mechanical Dentistry . . . Second Edition, Very Much Enlarged, with One Hundred and Fifty-Nine Illustrations.
Philadelphia, Lindsay and Blakiston, 1869.
£195
8vo, xx, [25]-442, pp., with numerous illustrations throughout. Bound in original sheep, black leather label, gilt lettering, Rebacked. A good copy.

A comprehensive manual for the construction of fillings, artificial teeth, dentures, etc., from Richardson, D.D.S. & M.D., who was a Midwestern professor of dentistry and metallurgy. With substantial updates to this edition on the use of vulcanised rubbed and aluminum.Of the “Art Association / of Jacksonville / by Dr. David Strawn”, stamped on left endpaper and stamp with logo blind-tooled on first leaves.

ROYAL ARMY DENTAL CORPS

THE WAR OFFICE. Training Notes for Clerk Orderlies of the Army Dental Corps (26, Manuals, 1388)

Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 1940.
£75

4t0, 29 pp., with illustrations and graphs, each leaf interleaved with blanks. Bound in original paper wrappers; “(Crown Copyright Reserved)”. Pen autograph of owner on upper outer corner.

“The wastage of fit soldiers through lack of proper dental care during World War I highlighted the need for formal organisation and proper provision and the Army Dental Corps was formed on 4th January 1921. Dental Surgeons were initially granted a Short Service Commission of six years with the opportunity for selection to a permanent commission whilst servicemen joined for an initial engagement of seven years and went to the Army Dental Corps School of Instruction in Aldershot to train as Dental Mechanics or Dental Clerk Orderlies. The interwar years had been a period of growth for the ADC as they firmly established their role and position within the life of the British Army. During World War Two the ADC expanded rapidly, in numbers of serving personnel, the number of Dental Centres in the UK and in the variety of courses and training available including general anaesthesia, dental prosthetics, dental radiography and maxillo-facial.” (from the website of the Museum of Military Medicine)