HORSLEY, John. Britannia Romana: or the Roman antiquities of Britain: in three books
London, Printed for John Osborn and Thomas Longman, 1732.
FIRST EDITION. Folio, pp. ,xxxii,355,,353-520,, with half-title, 22 engraved maps (5 double-page) and 83 fine plates. Negligible small tears to blank margins of plates at p.113 and 158. Beautiful engraved head-piece to the dedication to Sir Richard Ellys by Vander Gucht. Very clean and crisp throughout. Bound in later full calf gilt (early C19th), smooth spine with with low-raised bands and red morocco label. Marbled pastedowns and fore-edges. Bookplate of Crewe Hall library. Bookseller’s label (Steedman of Newcastle). A fine copy.
John Horsley (c. 1685 – 1732) was a British antiquarian, known primarily for his book Britannia Romana.
WEBSTER, John. The Displaying of supposed Witchcraft Wherein is affirmed that there are many sorts of Deceivers and Impostors . . . But that there is a corporeal league made betwixt the Devil and the Witch . . .
London, Jonas More, 1677.
FIRST EDITION. Quarto, pp. (16) 346 (4). Roman letter with italic. Slight tear to corner of Bb1 with no text loss, hole Cc4 with minor text loss, still a good clean copy, bound in brown calf, red gilt title piece, slightly worn. Ex libris Spottiswoode, 1900.
Dedicating the work to neighbours in Yorkshire as a placatory text to halt spurious rumours and misunderstanding concerning devilish matters, Webster provides an overview of censure concerning the treatment of apparitions and witchcraft and describes witches and their deeds. He adopts a rational approach and insists that all evidence in support of sorcery should be subjected to the same scientific scrutiny as employed by the likes of Newton and Locke. After all, what need was there to suspect the handiwork of the devil in any miracle, when ‘Mr Boyle’ . . . was able . . . ‘to manifest the great and wonderful virtues that God had endowed stones, minerals, plants and roots withal’.
ACKERMAN, Rudolph (Publisher). A Picturesque Tour of the English Lakes, containing a Description of the most romantic scenery of Cumberland, Westmoreland, and Lancashire, with Accounts of Ancient and modern manners and customs, and elucidations of The History and Antiquities of that part of the country, &c. &c. Illustrated with forty-eight coloured views, drawn by Messrs. T. H. Fielding, and J. Walton, during a two years residence among the Lakes.
London, printed for R. Ackermann 1821.
4to (21×25,5cm), pp. vi [ii] 288 plus 48 coloured plates of landscapes. Title-page with coloured landscape vignette. Light browning. Bound in red half-morocco gilt and cloth boards, marbled pastedowns and endpapers, rubbed, original red morocco gilt spine with title relaid. a.e.g.
Brunet II 1248 (stating the edition carries no date). Graesse II 577 (dating it to 1822).
PYNE, William Henry.The History of the Royal Residences of Windsor Castle, St. James’s Palace, Carlton House, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court, Buckingham House, and Frogmore.
London, A. Dry, 1819.
Large 40to (it appears as a folio), three vols., pp. 585. Illustrated with 100 highly finished and hand-coloured engravings, and facsimiles of original drawings. Bound in half calf, with gilt lettering and decorative detail.
All aspects of the Royal residences are described in this work, from the kitchen and general running of the household to individual items of furniture. The work culminates with an alphabetical list of portraits in the Royal Collections described in the book and a list of plates. Pyne provided the text and the drawings were supplied by eminent artists such as Nash, Pugin, MacKenzie amongst others. Though the work had some success, it involved Pyne in serious financial difficulties, and he was on more than one occasion confined for debt in the King’s Bench prison. [DNB] [Abbey 396]
London, Printed for John Martyn, [Moses Pitt, Richard Chiswell], for the Royal Society, 1679-82.
FIRST EDITION. Compete set of 7 parts in one volume, 210 pp., 6 folding plates, one full-page engraving (no. 5, p. 161), one half-page engraving (no. 4, p. 92), Bound in modern half calf and buckram over boards by Sangorsky & Sutcliffe. A fine copy.
The polymath Robert Hooke (1635-1703) was authorised by the Council of the Royal Society to publish the Philosophical Collections after the official Transactions ceased publication on Henry Odenburg’s death in 1677. Ordinary publication of the Transactions was resumed in January 1682- 3. The purpose of the journal was to provide an up-to-date account of any sicientific topic, such as physical, anatomical, chemical, mechanical, astronomical, optical, natural-philosophical and natural-historical observations, and to advertise the publication of such books. Complete sets of these seven numbers are very uncommon. The present volume also includes anatomical and medical studies. Hooke here published important papers, especailly An optical discourse, which concerned a cure for short-sightedness. One finds in the present collection Leeuwenhoek’s discovery of spermatozoa through the study of animal semen; Lana’s “flying chariot”; Borelli’s De motu musculorum; Tyson’s Anatomy of a porpess (sic); and astronomical observations by Hevelius, Flamsteed, and Cassini on the eclipse of Jupiter by the moon in 1679 and 1681. Furthermore, major discoveries by Malpighi, Moxon, Thomas Burnett, Edmund Halley, Bernoulli, and Leibniz are published in this series for the first time. The plates show Bernier’s flying machine, Borelli’s underwater breathing apparatus, and a new lamp invented by Robert Boyle. William Brigg’s A new theory of vision, a discussion of the optic nerves, is accompanied by a plate illustrating a dissected eye; this detailed physiological study of vision motivated Newton to republish it in 1685 with his own introduction. The Royal Society, founded in 1660, is the oldest scientific society in Great Britain and one of the oldest in Europe. Founders and early members included the scientist Bishop John Wilkins, the philosopher Joseph Glanvill, the mathematician John Wallis and the architect Christopher Wren, who wrote the preamble of its charter.
Keynes, Hooke 24. Norman 1100 (listing only 3 folding plates). See PMM 148 for the ‘Philosophical Transactions’.
THE WAR OFFICE. Training Notes for Clerk Orderlies of the Army Dental Corps (26, Manuals, 1388)
Her Majesty’s Stationery Office,1940.
4t0, 29 pp., with illustrations and graphs, each leaf interleaved with blanks. Bound in original paper wrappers; “(Crown Copyright Reserved)”. Pen autograph of owner on upper outer corner.
“The wastage of fit soldiers through lack of proper dental care during World War I highlighted the need for formal organisation and proper provision and the Army Dental Corps was formed on 4th January 1921. Dental Surgeons were initially granted a Short Service Commission of six years with the opportunity for selection to a permanent commission whilst servicemen joined for an initial engagement of seven years and went to the Army Dental Corps School of Instruction in Aldershot to train as Dental Mechanics or Dental Clerk Orderlies. The interwar years had been a period of growth for the ADC as they firmly established their role and position within the life of the British Army. During World War Two the ADC expanded rapidly, in numbers of serving personnel, the number of Dental Centres in the UK and in the variety of courses and training available including general anaesthesia, dental prosthetics, dental radiography and maxillo-facial.” (from the website of the Museum of Military Medicine)
DENTAL BOARD OF THE UNITED KINGDOM. Hygiene of the Mouth and Teeth
Frome and London, Butler & Tanner Ltd., [1927?].
8vo, 85 pp., with several b/w photographic facsimile illustrations and drawings. “Published by the Dental Board”, Dental Board’s logo on title-page, insert printed letter, dated “October 22 1927”, from Rt. Hon. Sir Francis Dyke Acland, Chairman of the Board. In 1917 he was appointed Chairman of the Departmental Committee “to inquire into the extent and gravity of the evils of dental practice by persons not qualified under the Dentists Act .” Based on the recommendations of this committee a bill was introduced into parliament which eventually became the Dentists Act 1921 which established the Dental Board of the United Kingdom. Acland was appointed its first chairman – a position he held until his death.
ARBUTHNOT, John. An Essay Concerning the Nature of Aliments, And the Choice of Them, According to the different Constitutions of Human Bodies
London, Printed for J. and R. Tonson, 1756.
8vo, pp. xxxii (title, preface, contents, explanation of chemical terms and introduction), 365 (Essay and Practical Rules, starting at p. 199, with preface and contents – pp. 201-8), ff. 1 (publishers ads). Ink autograph of early owner “Joseph … / Lynn / May 6.th 1775” on recto of left endpaper. Text very clean, fresh and absolutely crips. Bound in contemporary calf with double-fillet gilt tooled along edges, spine in six compartments with low-raised bands. Title in a thick white pen trait to spine. An excellent copy internally, rather worn externally.
John Arbuthnot (1667 – 1735), known as Dr Arbuthnot, was a Scottish physician, satirist and polymath in London. First printed in 1730, the present book of his was quite popular, and a second edition, with advice on diet (here included), came out the next year. There followed four further editions and translations into French and German.
[LEWIS, William]. The new Dispensatory: Containing I. The Theory and Practice of Pharmacy. II. A Distribution of Medicinal Simples,… III. A full Translation of the London and Edinburgh Pharmacopoeias;… IV. Directions for Extemporaneous Prescriptions;… V. A Collection of Cheap Remedies for the Use of the Poor. The whole interpreted With Practical Causations and Observations. Intended as a Correction, and Improvement of Quincy.
London, Printed for J. Nourse, 1753.
FIRST EDITION. 8vo, pp. xii (title, preface and contents), 32 (introduction), 664 (text: dispensatory, appendix and index). Roman letter and some Italic. Tail pieces. Bound in contemporary calf, spine gilt, rebacked and with red morocco label, corners repaired. An excellent copy.
William Lewis (1708-1781) was a chemist and physician. The English dispensatories of the seventeenth and fellowing century were mainly commentaries based on the London and other pharmacopeias, which began to be expanded, more or less comprehensively, in order to work as reference books (Kremer-Urdang). John Quincy (d. 1722) started his carrier as an apothecary apprentice (cf. Ferguson II, 239). His ‘English Dispensatory’ (1721), of which a fourth edition appeared in 1722 and a twelfth in 1749, contains a complete account of the materia medica and of therapeutics, and many of the prescriptions contained in it were long popular. He studied mathematics and the philosophy of Sir Isaac Newton, and received the degree of M.D. from the university of Edinburgh.
MEAD, Richard. Medica Sacra : sive, de morbis insignioribus, qui in Bibliis memorantur, commentarius.
London, Prostant apud Joannem Brindley, 1749.
FIRST EDITION. 8vo, ff. 2 (half title and title), pp. xix (preface), (3, i.e. capitum argumenta), 108 (text). Roman letter, some Italic, sporadic Greek. Head and tail pieces. C19th armorial bookplate of the Earls of Macclesfield’s “South Library” at Shirburn Castle with the motto: “Sapere aude” and press mark in ink (152. D. 15.) on left pastedown, dated 1860; partially covering older library number in pen. “From the Author” written in pen on verso of left endpaper. Printed on thick high quality paper in elegant type; a fresh, clean and crisp copy. Bound in contemporary beige calf over boards, single gilt-tooled along edges with stamped angular gilt fleurons. Gilt spine in seven compartments with suns in splendour tooled on the centre, plus four stars at corners of each section, raised bands. Orange morocco label with gilt lettering. Upper extremity of joints a bit tender, very minor rubbing on edges. A.e.r., a fine copy.
Richard Mead (1673-1754) was an English physician. His work, “A Short Discourse concerning Pestilential Contagion, and the Method to be used to prevent it” (1720), was of historic importance in the understanding of contagious epidemics. He was admitted to the Royal Society, to whose “Transactions” he contributed, writing on the parasitic nature of scabies. In 1714, Mead became the recognised head of his profession; he attended Queen Anne on her deathbed, and in 1727 was appointed physician to George II, having previously served him in that capacity when he was prince of Wales. In this work, Mead argued that pagan ideas regarding demons had entered Christianity. The book was translated from Latin into English by Thomas Stack in 1755. Mead understood those afflicted by demons in the New Testament to refer simply to those suffering from a variety of illnesses: “That the Daemoniacs, daimonizomenoi, mentioned in the gospels, laboured under a disease really natural, though of an obstinate and difficult kind, appears to me very probable from the accounts given of them.” Contemporaries such as Isaac Newton, Joseph Mede, and Arthur Ashley Sykes shared Mead’s opinion on the subject.