8vo. 4 books in 1 volume; ff. 8 (half title, title, dedicatory letter, Preface and Contents), pp. 255 (=355), with 34 engraved plates. It includes the final Syllabus (an anatomical index with several diagrams) and the Appendix, with 3 additional plates. Head and tail pieces, and floriated initials. Early nineteenth-century bookplate of the Tinclars Library, Brampton Vicarage, Westmoreland. “Ex-libris Brent Gration-Maxfield” written on pastedown. Contemporary calf over boards, gilt double-fillet frame on covers and pairs of horizontal gilt double-fillets for each of the six compartments of the spine, low-raised bands. Fore-edges sprinkled in red. A fine copy, notwithstanding a few minor marginal wormholes to the inner margins of a few leaves in the middle of the book. Fresh, clean and crips internally.
Fourth edition of this popular and splendidly illustrated work (first published in 1713) on the anatomy of the human body by the physician William Chelseden F. R. S. (1688-1752), who was in the service of queen Caroline of Ansbach, wife to King George II, and surgeon to St. Thomas’s Hospital. He was influential in establishing surgery as a scientific medical profession. Via the medical missionary Benjamin Hobson his work also helped revolutionise medical practices in China and Japan in the 19th century. Furthermore, Cheselden is credited with performing the first known case of full recovery from blindness in 1728, of a blind 13-year-old boy. He described this event at the end of the Appendix to the present work.
SEPP, Ian Christiaan. Beschouwing der wonderen Gods, in de minstgeachtste schepzelen of Nederlandsche insecten (Vol. II)
Amsterdam, by J. C. Sepp en Zoon, 1777; 1786; 1787; 1795.
FIRST EDITION. 4to, only volume 2 ex 8, with four dated title-pages; 48 hand-coloured engraved and lithographed plates, mostly folding. Several attractive tail pieces. 1 hand-coloured engraved and lithographed frontispiece, title page with vignette. Contemporary sprinkled half calf over sprinkled brown paper over boards. Black and orange spine labels with gilt lettering. Some wear to spine, edges and margins of text, otherwise an excellent uncut copy, clean and fresh.
First edition of “[what] has become the most important work on Dutch Lepidoptera” (Landwehr 182). Sepp both wrote and illustrated the work, using his own collection of preserved butterflies, caterpillars and chrysalides. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful works on butterflies to be produced.
Hagen Bibliotheca Entomologica II p. 152-153; Horn & Schenkling 20145; Landwehr 182; Nissen ZBI, 3808.
TOURNEFORT, Joseph Pitton. Institutiones Rei Herbariae
Paris, E Typographia Regia, 1700.
FIRST EDITION. 4to, 2 volumes (of 3). First vol. containing text; second vol. containing 250 stunning botanical plates. Roman and Italic letter, sporadic Greek. Vignette on t-p of first vol. and autograph of early owner, second vol. with engraved title; beautiful engraved headpieces, and historiated and floriated initials. Bookplate of “Philip Carteret, Esq.”, of the Royal Navy, on left pastedowns. Fore-edge sprinkled in red, bound in mottled brown calf over thick boards; covers blind-ruled along edges with double fillet, central panels with outer angular fleurons. Gilt cover edges. Six decorated compartments divided by raised bands to gilt spine with title on red morocco label. Overall in excellent condition, text fresh, clean and crisp. Very clean engraved plates, without staining.
MILLER, Philip. The Gardeners Kalendar; Directing the necessary Works to be done Every Month in the Kitchen, Fruit, and Pleasure-Gardens, as also in the Conservatory and Nursery
London, Printed for John and Francis Rivington, 1775.
12mo, pp. xlvi (2) 249 (23), 5 folding botanical plates; lacking frontispiece. Head- and tail-pieces. Roman letter, some Italic. Ink-stamped owner’s name on title-page: “J. Greenfill”. Contemporary calf over boards, recently rebacked, gilt title tooled on spine. Corners a little worn. An excellent copy.
A lovely copy, expertly rebacked. The sixteenth edition of Miller’s most popular work, first printed in 1731.
COMMELIN, Caspar. Horti Medici Amstelaedamensis Plantae Rariores et Exoticae
Leyden, Apud Fredericum Haringh, 1706.
FIRST EDITION. Large 4to, *4 A-F4, 48 full-page fine botanical engravings by P. Sluyter (Nos 23 and 24 misbound, inverted; Nos 35 and 36 reinforced with backing paper repairs at an early stage, without affecting the illustrations). Vignette on title page, a vase of flowers, and early inscription. Light age yellowing throughout. On verso of original marbled paper wrappers, to the left side of the book, ex libris of Scottish physician and botanist “John Hope MD” (FRSE FRS PRCPE, 1725-86). In 1784 Hope was elected as president of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (1784-6). Early purchase inscription dated Oct. 23(?) 1718 on top of left flyleaf, recto. Wide margins, probably never cut, quite worn and soiled at the beginning and end, without however affecting the text or images. With rare original wrappers of marbled paper bound in; rebound for protection in modern quarter calf and marbled paper over boards. A prestigious provenance; clean and fresh leaves.
This work was intended as a supplement to the ‘Horti medici Amstelodamensis’, 1697-1701, by Commelin’s uncle. This work “documents the substantial introduction of Cape flora into Europe and includes the first descriptions and illustrations of a number of species, including many aloes” (De Belder, lot 81).
WOODVILLE, William. Medical Botany, Containing Systematic And General Descriptions, With Plates, Of All The Medicinal Plants, Indigenous And Exotic.
London, James Phillips, 1790-93.
FIRST EDITION. 8vo, 4 volumes in two (the original 3 volumes plus Supplement, dated 1794). Title page for each volume. 274 full-page plates by the artist and engraver James Sowerby, some hand-coloured (ca. 30). Vol. 1: preface, catalogue, pp. 1-182, index, pls. 1-65; Vol. 2: catalogue, pp. 183-368, index, pls. 66-135; Vol. 3: pp. 369-460, 459-578, index, Dr Cullen’s arrangement in diagram of the general table of medical matter, and catalogue, pls. 136-210; Supplement: pp. 1-169, index, and general plant index, pls. 211-274. Woodville, a London physician, was elected to the Linnaean Society in 1791. His medical botany and research on smallpox vaccinations were his major contributions to science. Text and plates fresh, crisp and clean. Only occasional spotting to margins. Bound in later half calf and buckram over boards, gilt title to spine. Skilfully rebacked. An excellent copy.
“William Woodville (1752-1805) graduated at the University of Edinburgh in Medicine in 1775. A few years later he settled in London and in 1791 was elected physician to the Smallpox Hospital at Battle Bridge, St. Pancras. Around this hospital were grounds of four acres, two of which Woodville made into a botanical garden which he maintained at his own expense. Woodville was a close personal friend of the noted physician John Coakley Lettsom who, also, had a love of botany, and was the owner of Grove Hill, Camberwell, celebrated for its garden. Both men were Quakers, and both were on the Council of the Medical Society of London which had been founded by Lettsom in 1773. Besides being the author of Medical botany Woodville was responsible for Volume 1 of a History of inoculation (1796), of which no further volumes were published owing to the discovery by Edward Jenner of the efficacy of vaccination from cow-pox.” Henrey, p. 32.
A MILESTONE IN THE TRANSLATION HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH NEW TESTAMENT
He Kaine Diatheke. Novum Testamentum. Juxta exemplar Millianum.
Oxford, Typis Joannis Baskerville, E Typographeo Clarendoniano, Sumptibus Academiae, 1763.
FIRST EDITION (only 500 copies published). 2 vols in a very large 4to format with “signatures in twos. Text not divided into verses but with verse-numbers given in the margin” (Darlow & Moule, 4755); 415 pp. plus title-page, lacking the initial half-title; this copy was specially bound for William Newcome (1729-1800), Archbishop of Armagh, Primate of All Ireland, with interleaved blank sheets throughout and ten additional initial and final blanks in both volumes: Matthew and Luke, pp. 1-236, in Vol. I, and Paul and John, pp. 236-415, in Vol. II. Copiously annotated and underlined by the owner, who left his autograph on the top right corner of the t-p. The books are provided with plenty of philological observations and references to classical authors, both Greek and Latin, and comparisons with critical studies of the bible by other eminent scholars. Contemp. bindings, calf over gilt spine in compartments with red morocco label, vellum corners, marble paper over thick boards. Covers, joints and edges rubbed, 1st vol.’s head of spine slightly damaged. Notwithstanding, an appealing binding. A clean, wide-margined and unique copy.
This edition shows the Greek types designed by the celebrated printer John Baskerville (1706- 1775). It mostly reproduces the text edited by John Mills (1707), which is “perhaps the most famous Greek Testament of the eighteenth century […] a reprint of Stephanus’ text of 1550, with a very few slight variations.” (Darlow & Moule, 4725).
“The press made one purchase from Baskerville. By the time that he approached the Delegates with a proposal for a new great primer Greek in June 1758, Savile’s Greek types had become unfashionable. Baskerville had been cutting types for just five years but was sufficiently convincing for the Delegates to order ‘a new Set of Greek Puncheons, matrices and moulds, in Great Primer’ and 3 hundredweight of type. Once the type arrived in 1761, the workmen were paid to set up and print two samples for a new Greek Testament, one in the new type and the other in ‘the Large Greek’. On the basis of this comparative specimens the Delegates agreed that a ‘Greek Testament in Quarto and Octavo be printed on Baskerville’s Letter’. However, no more type was ever bought from Baskerville” (Gadd (ed.)., The History of the Oxford University Press, I, p.222).
The owner of this copy was a prestigious Englishman and cleric of the Church of Ireland: The Most Reverend William Newcome. He studied at Abingdon School and then moved to Oxford, having obtained a scholarship at Pembroke College. He graduated from Hertford College in theology. His elevation to the primacy was said to be the express act of King George III. His appointment was described by James Caulfeild, 1st Earl of Charlemont, as the reward of character, principles, and erudition. A fine classical scholar, imbued with an excellent knowledge of Ancient Greek and Latin, Newcome is especially remembered for “An attempt toward revising our English translation of the Greek Scriptures, and toward illustrating the sense by philological and explanatory notes” (1796) (commonly known as “Archbishop Newcome’s new translation”). This is to be distinguished from the revised version of Thomas Belsham published by Unitarians after his death: “The New Testament in an Improved Version Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome’s New Translation” (1808). Newcome worked at a revision of the whole English bible, of which “An Attempt” was the New Testament portion. In the preface to his work he declares: “my original intention extended no further than to improve our authorised translation of the Greek scriptures; following the text of Griesbach’s excellent edition […] I subjoined a comment to the text of such an important and difficult book. I therefore engaged in a second labour of selection and abridgment from a body of notes which I had formed, or compiled, many years ago, with occasional additions suggested by able commentators, or by my own study of the sacred writings.” One can hence identify the present annotated copy as the result of his learned effort to provide the English reader with a more trustworthy translation of the Gospels, achieved through an expansive philological investigation and comparison of Ancient Greek and Latin sources. It is known that the German biblical scholar Johann Jakob Griesbach (1745-1812), who first elaborated the hypothesis of the Synoptic Gospels, sojourned in England, where he may have met Henry Owen (1716-1775), author of “Observations on the Four Gospels” (1764). It is plausible then to surmise an exchange also between Newcome and Griesbach, whose critical edition of the New Testament first appeared at Halle between 1774 and 1775.
BOSWELL, James. An Account of Corsica, The Journal of a Tour to that Island, and Memoirs of Pascal Paoli. By James Boswell, Esq; Illustrated with a New and Accurate Map of Corsica.
London, Printed for Edward and Charles Dilly in the Poultry, 1769.
8vo, frontispiece plate with engraved portrait of Pascal Paoli by J. Lodge after Henry Bembridge, title page, “Letter” and “Preface” (pp. xxxii), large engraved folding map of Corsica (from the same plate as in the first edition, but with a scale of miles added), text from pp. 33 to 400. Bookplate to front pastedown of American collector Joseph Y. Jeanes from Philadelphia. Rebound in late C19th half red morocco and marbled paper over boards by the famous Philadelphia binders firm Pawson and Nicholson (see printed name to top outer corner of verso of first front endpaper). Corners and joints partly rubbed and worn, small tear to folding map, lightly yellowed throughout and occasional minor spotting. Waterstaining on head of flyleaf with Boswell’s inscription: “To Andrew Lumisden Esq: as a mark of sincere regard from the Author”. A very good copy.
Third edition of this famous account of Corsica by the English writer, novelist and travel diarist James Boswell, which is also an important presentation copy from the author to his dear friend Andrew Lumisden. The preface to this edition includes for the first time a eulogistic letter from George Lyttelton to Boswell in praise of Paoli. Boswell, a Scottish lawyer, is mainly remembered as the biographer of Samuel Johnson. He was invited to visit Corsica by Paoli in August 1764 whilst he was travelling in Italy. Boswell was determined to get to Corsica and stated that had he not received a formal invitation, he should still go, and probably be hanged as a spy. ‘He crossed from Leghorn to Corsica; saw the great Paoli; talked politics to him . . . He also took the liberty of asking Paoli “a thousand questions with regard to the most minute and private circumstances of his life” ’ (DNB). He apparently played Scottish airs to the Corsican peasantry. He returned to London with his head full of Corsica, and against Johnson’s advice, resolved to write an account of his experiences. This is a refreshing contemporary observation of eighteenth-century Corsica and covers a number of aspects; the first chapter consists of a geographical analysis of the Island followed by a historical and political overview. The book concludes with Boswell’s journal of his tour of the Island and the memoirs of Pascal Paoli. However, the book did not receive general approval. Walpole laughed at it and Gray described the journal as a “dialogue between a green goose and a hero”. Boswell never ceased to champion the Corsican cause and published a volume of “Essays in favour of the Brave Corsicans” in the spring of 1769. Andrew Lumisden (1720–1801), an “active and accurate antiquary”, was a Scottish Jacobite with whom Boswell became acquainted in Rome in 1765. They became good friends and Lumisden later assisted Boswell when he was writing the Life of Dr Johnson, by deciphering place names in the diarists’ journal of a French tour in late 1775.
EUCLID. The Elements of Euclid; With Select Theorems out of Archimedes…
London, Printed for W. Innys, T. Longman and T. Shewell…, and M. Senex…, 1747.
8vo, pp. xiv (ii) 240 (iv) 68, A-U8 Z 4. Lacking frontispiece portrait. Title-page vignette of putti playing a trumpet and using a compass and a ruler while reading Euclid’s Elements, motto “hinc omnia”; 5 folding engraved plates of many figures. Archimedes’ Theorems have a separate dated title page and pagination, but the Register is continuous. Engraved vignette of a cone, cylinder and a sphere with motto “Una tribus Ratio est”. Large Cheshunt College Library bookplate on front fly with ink shelf mark and label of the Newport-Pagnel Evangelical Institution, book presented by “an anonymous friend”, on upper pastedown. In contemporary gilt-ruled calf, title on red morocco label to spine. Front joint to cover cracked but holding.
William Whiston (1667-1752) was an Anglican priest and mathematician who in 1703 succeeded Isaac Newton as Lucasian professor and, in the following year, he abridged and published the Elements of Euclid for the use of students at Cambridge. Whiston re-elaborated the work on Euclid of the Belgian Jesuit mathematician André Tacquet (1612-60), who wrote many good elementary texts designed as mathematics textbooks for Jesuit colleges. His Elementa geometriae (1654) was his most popular teaching work. This book was essentially constructed from Euclid’s Elements with material from Archimedes. It was a significant piece of work because of the clarity Tacquet demonstrated in presenting the material. Many editions of Elementa geometriae were produced over the next 100 years. For example, the present work appeared in a third edition published in London in 1727. Palladino writes about Tacquet’s Classes of measures: “The classical definitions of ratio and proportion, defined respectively by the third and the fifth definitions of Book V of Euclid’s Elements, were subjected to a rigorous examination in the seventeenth century: among the critics and revisers of those definitions [was] André Tacquet (whose definition of ‘equal reasons’ has inspired generations of mathematicians). … Tacquet devised refined procedures to figure out the ‘equality of reasons’ by approximation.” F. Palladino, On the theory of proportions in the seventeenth century. Two noteworthy contributions: ‘Cuts of rational numbers’ by the Galilean G. A. Borelli and ’Classes of measures’ by the Jesuit A. Tacquet (Italian), Nuncius Ann. Storia Sci. 6 (2) (1991), 33-81.
VERHEYEN, Philippe. Corporis humani anatomiæ liber primus.
Naples, Typis Felicis Mosca, De aere Bernardini Gessarj, 1717.
4to, pp. (xx) 403 (i), a4 b6 A-3E4 3E2. Roman and Italic letter. Two volumes (volume one only, missing Liber Secundus or Supplementum, which is a textbook on physiology containing 6 additional plates). Engraved portrait of the author on frontispiece (“A.M. fe.[cit]”); woodcut printer’s device of a phoenix within a floriated shield sided by putti, motto “semper eadem” in a cartouche, and entwined initials on title page (signed by the artist Giovanna Pesche). Title in red and black. Library stamp on t-p. Decorated initials, head- and tailpieces. Forty detailed anatomical plates. Plate twenty with a marginal tear and tear to lower corner of F3 (pp. 45-46). Wormhole through foot of frontispiece and first four leaves, slightly affecting the date of publication. A little soiled and spotted, some light foxing and age yellowing throughout. In contemporary half calf with paper over boards. Small wormholes on covers and especially joints and spine, also visible on pastedowns; sign of rubbing on binding, spine and cover edges worn. Remains of a library label with initials “D.V.” on front pastedown.
This is the third edition of this successful anatomical work by the famous Flemish surgeon Philippe Verheyen (1648-1710). Little is known about the author’s childhood. He was probably a cowherd and it is assumed that he learned to read and write at the local parish school. Local folk tales claim that he had such a brilliant memory that he could recite the pastor’s sermon after attending mass on Sunday. The pastor of the village took him under his wing and he was sent to Leuven in 1672 where he spent three years at Trinity College. Concluding his studies in the liberal arts in 1675, Verheyen went on to study theology with the intention of following in the footsteps of his mentor and joining the clergy to become a priest. It was at this crucial juncture that an illness resulted in the amputation of his left leg rendering him unfit for the clergy. This event proved to be of utmost importance to the subsequent path he chose. Embarking on a career in medicine, he initially continued at Trinity College and from 1681 to 1683 studied in Leiden. He returned to Leuven in 1683, obtaining the doctorate in medicine there. He gave lessons in anatomy and surgery and also practiced medicine. As a result of his many publications, in a short period of time he acquired renown both in and outside the country. The year 1693 saw the first publication of his Corporis humani anatomia, whose illustrations are mainly based on Andreas Vesalius’s De humani corporis fabrica (1543).
See Morton no. 388 for the first edition. Opac Sbn IT\ICCU\PUVE\018048